Welcome to Nashville! This handbook covers everything you need to know to plan the perfect trip to Nashville for the AABB Conference.
Best Tourist Attractions in Nashville
- Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum – Museum with exhibits on the history of country music and its stars
- Ryman Auditorium – Iconic venue known as the “Mother Church of Country Music” with daily tours
- Tennessee State Museum – Museum covering Tennessee art, history, culture, music, science, and technology
- Grand Ole Opry – Weekly country music concert broadcast live to radio
- Nashville Zoo – Zoo housing over 3,000 animals, including elephants, giraffes, tigers
- Cheekwood Botanical Gardens – Sprawling gardens with seasonal floral displays and an art museum
Best Restaurants and Food in Nashville
- Hot chicken – Spicy fried chicken from Hattie B’s, Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack
- BBQ – Smoked meats and sides at Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint, Edley’s Bar-B-Que
- Southern cuisine – Farm-to-table fare at The Loveless Cafe, tasting menus at The Catbird Seat
- Brunch – Chicken and biscuits at Biscuit Love, cocktails and quiche at The Mockingbird
- Nashville institutions – Meat and threes at Arnold’s Country Kitchen, Southern dishes at Puckett’s Grocery & Restaurant
Best Accommodation in Nashville
- Downtown Nashville Hotels – Luxury hotels like Sheraton Grand, Hilton, and Omni Nashville are close to attractions.
- Boutique Hotels – Stylish independent hotels like The Bobby, Hotel Indigo, Noelle
Best Transportation in Nashville
Maps and Directions
Weather in Nashville
Nashville has hot, humid summers and mild winters. Pack layers and check weather forecasts.
Language and Translation
English is the primary language. Translation services are available.
Safety Tips and Local Customs
- Exercise precautions at night. Travel in groups.
- Casual dress unless going to a luxury venue.
- Tip 15-20% at restaurants for good service.
Best Shopping in Nashville
- Opry Mills Mall – Major brands and entertainment
- The Mall at Green Hills – Upscale shopping
- Boutiques in 12South, East Nashville, West End/Elliston Place
Best Events and Entertainment
- Live Music Venues – Bluebird Cafe, Ryman Auditorium, Station Inn
- Broadway Honky Tonks – Tootsie’s, Legends Corner, Robert’s Western World
- Grand Ole Opry – Live country music and radio show
- Nashville Predators NHL – Professional ice hockey
- TPAC Shows – Theater and Performing arts
CVS, Walgreens, urgent care for minor illnesses/injuries.
- Parks – Centennial Park, Shelby Bottoms, Radnor Lake
- Cumberland River – Kayaking and canoeing
- Golf Courses – Harpeth Hills, Gaylord Springs
Best Local Tours and Activities
- Live Music Venues – Bluebird Cafe, Station Inn, Listening Room
- Ryman Backstage Tour
- Brewery Tours – Yazoo, Jackalope
- Food Tours – Walk Eat Nashville, Nashville Food Tours
Best Wi-Fi and Internet
Free Wi-Fi at coffee shops, restaurants, hotels, and public places.
Currency Exchange and Banking
Best Travel Tips
- Make restaurant reservations in advance
- Bring comfortable walking shoes
- Buy discounted attraction passes
- Allow extra time for Nashville traffic
Best Local Events and Holidays
Here is an updated guide with local events happening in Nashville from October 13-17, 2023, and links to websites for more information:
Local Events in Nashville from October 13-17, 2023
- Nashville Film Festival (October 13-17) – This annual film festival screens independent films of all genres from around the world. Attend film screenings, panels, and parties. Website
- Oktoberfest at Craft Brewers Conference (October 14) – Sample German beers and foods and enjoy live music at this big Oktoberfest party for brewery industry professionals. Website
- AmericanaFest (October 12-15) – Celebration of Americana music with 100+ artists performing at venues across Nashville. Website
- Iroquois Steeplechase Races (October 14) – Historical horse racing event, including races, betting, tailgating, and entertainment. Website
- Tennessee vs Alabama Football Game (October 14) – SEC rivalry college football game happening at Neyland Stadium in nearby Knoxville. Website
- Nashville Predators vs Edmonton Oilers NHL Game (October 17) – Pro hockey matchup at Bridgestone Arena downtown. Website
- Live Music at The Bluebird Cafe (Nightly) – Intimate music venue where songwriters perform acoustic sets in the round. Reservations required. Website
With top music festivals, SEC football, and NHL hockey, there’s no shortage of entertainment happening in Nashville during the AABB Conference dates. Enjoy some famous southern hospitality and lively events!